love probably isn’t the first thing that comes to mind when you think about the
imagine being caged up with your siblings, to become a spectacle to humans. the animals have become mere entertainment to us. something to amuse us and fill us with wonder and to an extent, to remind us of our supposed superiority. but it’s not so bad. they get free meals and are spared the harsh realities of their natural habitats – that’s gotta be a plus.
in a place like that, all you have truly is each other. love becomes second nature to you. the Accra Zoo is no different!
let’s cut the long spiel short. because normal is boring, we made a love film for valentine’s day about animals. oh, we had the content machine Kwadwo Sheldon narrate this. the animals from the zoo will be so proud.
animal lovers rejoice. we’ve got some accra zoo photos and some tidbits at the end of the post. drum roll and open curtains. travels ghana presents, a true Love Story, featuring the cast of Accra Zoo Animal Kingdom.
okay now photos.
Accra Zoo Photos
belated happy valentine’s day. see more photos at our Accra Zoo gallery.
Fun Facts About the Accra Zoo
- the Accra Zoo, was initially a private recreational facility for Ghana’s founding President, Dr. Kwame Nkrumah.
- it was opened to the public, after Dr. Nkrumah was overthrown in a coup in 1966.
- the Accra Zoo was initially located in Kanda, a suburb of Accra
- the zoo was closed down in 2006 for the construction of the then new Presidential complex, formerly known as the Flagstaff House.
- this saw the animals at the Accra zoo being re-housed in the Kumasi zoo
- the Accra Zoo is now located in the Achimota Forest